A Rare Glimpse

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Here's a picture of all the lovely Navs people I was in community with for two intense weeks at the Laurentian Leadership Centre in Ottawa. I was really sad to leave, though I was tired and exhausted (took me several days to recover!). Most everyone was open and honest, willing to lend a hand or debate/discuss issues on their hearts.

I'm really thankful that I had a chance to talk with everyone coming through the kitchen. I think the position of kitchen co-ordinator helped facilitate more opportunities for me to get to know people, as too many people usually means stress. I don't like a lot of small talk, I prefer deeper talk or not talking at all and just listening. :) So as you can imagine, large groups of people can mean a headache for me.

But I think God is really working on my heart lately, to develop a heart and love for people. He is challenging me to take the opportunities that come my way, to make small talk and get to know people initially, so that I can get past the surface and be more real/honest with others. As a result, I was able to have some really great conversations with many people, a deeper level with a few specific people...something that rarely would have happened in my past. It has often taken several months to a year or more for me to be open and vulnerable with someone, to consider someone a close friend. If I didn't think I could trust you, I would not reveal much about myself.

In the past few years, I've come to realize that most people are worth taking the risk in developing a deeper relationship with. Not everyone will close out what I have to feel and say, or attack my thinking and dreams.

During the two weeks, I got to meet a whole spectrum of people, from those in high positions in the House of Commons on Parliament Hill, to those who live on the street. Despite all the various events and trips, I think God spoke clearest to me in that every individual is a precious heir of His kingdom, made in His image, loved dearly by Him, and the greatest purpose in life is to know God (relationship) and glorify Him (worship). That's the plain and simple truth!